This is a story about the time I accidentally knit socks in a week.
You have to understand – I know that my goal for 2014 was to knit more socks, and knit down my sock yarn stash, but I haven’t been doing too well at it. I’m a pretty slow sock knitter. I tend to see socks as ‘portable’ knitting, more than things to work on at home. My commute is usually active (either driving a car or biking), and so I’m not able to knit while I get to and from work, and when I’m home in the evenings I tend to prioritize bigger projects. My socks just don’t get much love.
I wound this yarn in March, as one of those just-in-case-I-finish-my-giant-sweater-project-I’d-better-bring-another packing decisions for a weekend trip to Montreal. I didn’t end up casting on during that trip, unfortunately. (Although, I did finish my big purple cardigan – it just needs photographs!)
I really loved the yarn all wound, though. Especially with the prolonged dark, wintery weather we’ve been having. The pinks and purples and brightess of this colourway seemed like such a refreshing break, and I knew I wanted to get to it as my next knit.
This month, I’ve been spending most of my ‘free’ time studying for a big exam coming up in early May. The exam is a big deal/necessary evil for work, and so most of my weekends and days off are either at study group with coworkers or at my desk at home, supervised by the cats.
Whenever I get down to study crunch time like this, I tend to craft a lot more, but in unusual ways. My brain wants to find ways to be creative, so I end up being really, really efficient with how I fit making into my schedule. I use my ten-minute study breaks to spin or knit, or knit while I’m reading or cooking, and I end up being inspired to make things I wouldn’t ordinarily gravitate towards.
I cast on for these during a study break at the beginning of the month, and something just clicked. I tried a new set of DPNs that were very pleasing to my hands (Hiya Hiya! So incredibly sharp, but fast), and figured out a stitch count to get this yarn to self-stripe, and everything was wonderful.
Now, to be fair – I did end up travelling with these, and brought them on two fairly long airplane trips while I visited a friend for her wedding. But still. This was one quick pair of socks.
The pattern is Hermione’s Everyday Socks, although I really just used my usual sock method and poached the stitch pattern instructions. I also experimented with the Fish Lips Kiss heel for these socks. The yarn is Socks that Rock Lightweight, in “Girl Crush.”
I’m not sure how I feel about the heel directions, to be honest. I like that the short-row-style heel didn’t interfere with the pooling pattern I had going on the top of the sock, and it is a clever way to do short rows. I think my foot shape needs a wider heel than this pattern gives. I’d like to have a good short-row heel in my knitting toolkit, though, so I’m planning to give this technique another go worked over a few more stitches, to see if that helps.
In knitting these socks, I also got bitten by the Socks that Rock bug. Like, really hard. I’ve already found the one skein I have in my stash and wound it for a second pair.