My trip away from home has finally ended. I’m so, so happy to be back in my city, with my C and my cats and my house just the way I like it. I’m such a nester, and it was really, really rough being away for two full months even with visits. I’m glad that I got through, and now that I’m here, I’m super excited to start being creative again.
Before I get to all the new stuff I’m excited about, though, I wanted to share one last spinning project.
This is my latest handspun yarn, and I have to say I love everything about it. The fibre is an indigodragonfly club shipment, polwarth wool in this gorgeous red/pink/yellow/orange colourway called “Grapefruit: The Franklin Expedition of Diets.”
Polwarth is one of my all-time favourite breeds to spin, so it was such a treat to get this in my mailbox! This base spun up beautifully – I hardly had to pre-draft at all – and was such fun to play with.
I also didn’t have nearly the issues with the colour that I did with my last orange yarn. I knew this was going to spin up as reds and oranges going in, so I wasn’t surprised when my finished yarn turned out in those colours. In fact, I love it – it’s so punchy, and I love the way the red bits in the dyed fibre turned out looking pink in the final yarn.
I spun it by splitting the fibre lengthwise into strips, then spinning each strip end-to-end. I chain-plied the singles, which left me with a 3-ply yarn that preserves longish colour repeats. I don’t think the repeats are long enough that this will self-stripe – probably it’ll knit up more like a variegated yarn with long runs of colour.
I’ve only got about 250m of a heavy fingering-weight/light sport-weight yarn. I think the poor yardage is due to a couple of things – the first being an ‘incident’ my fiber had with the spinning wheel oil. I came home and found that my oil bottle had fallen over, open, and soaked oil all over the handful of fiber I had waiting to spin next. I tried washing it, but after two washes it was still so saturated I figured it probably wasn’t worth saving. I think I only lost about 5g, but I don’t think it helped.
The other is that this is a three-ply yarn – I think if I’d been willing to split this and make a two-ply, I would have been able to get a lot more yardage per gram. But I like the bounciness of the yarn as it is, and I like that it’s a little on the heavier side. I have a specific non-sock project in mind for this wool, and I don’t think working it in a fatter yarn will be a bad thing.