Still playing catch-up, a little bit. Everything is mostly settled at my new place, but unfortunately we are having trouble getting our internet connected, so my blogging and photo uploading opportunities are a little harder to come by right now.
That said, I really really wanted to share this project with you. I’m pretty excited about it.
One of the things I planned to do once I moved was make a quilt for the new apartment. In part because, you know, every apartment deserves its own quilt. But also, more importantly, because of the layout of our new living room. It has this little corner near the front, that is really awkward for putting furniture or useful storage.
It is, however, a totally perfect little corner for sitting and reading (or crafting) by the window. I cannot resist making cozy things for little corners that are perfect for sitting and reading. It is an issue.
So I sat down with my pile of stash fabrics – I discovered, while packing, that I have accidentally created a wee quilting fabric stash – and picked my favourite fat quarters to go with a pattern that I am still totally excited about.
This is the Donuts(!) quilt pattern, the same one I used for my pillowcase a few months ago. I made the throw-sized quilt, exactly as written – my first time making a quilt top from a pattern. I did have to buy new fabric for the backing, background, and borders. But for the ‘donut’ fabric, I made a point of using ‘special’ prints I’d resisted using when I first bought it.
I did all the cutting in one session, during an afternoon off work. The sewing was all done on machine, and it came together in about a week. This pattern is not the most complicated in the universe, but I find it satisfying all the same. The look of the chunky, squared-off donut shapes please me more than I think they’re supposed to, and I like that it provides an opportunity to play with different fabrics (read: fussy-cut radioactive squirrels) without as much thinking about matching and contrast. It’s like the garter stitch of quilts.
Plus, now I have a quilt top.
I think it’s pretty swell.
I basted it and got a start on the quilting last week. I’m planning to hand quilt everything – unfortunately, with the last week of weather, it’s been too hot to sit with a quilt on my lap, even with air conditioning. So the finishing finishing is probably going to be on hold for a while, at least until the fall.
In the meantime, I’ve broken into my spinning stash, and came up with this.
Six ounces of All Spun Up BFL/Silk. I’m turning it into some really pretty singles, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to share them with you soon.