The Christmas knitting is well underway – this is the first year I’ve really had any down-to-the-wire gift knitting undone, and I’m not sure it’s a feeling I like. Next year, I plan to take on less. The current flurry of (unphotographed) work is for my parents, who are both theoretically getting socks for Christmas – I have exactly one of my mother’s pair done, and I started the cuff for the first sock of my father’s pair yesterday. This is Bad News.
However, the scarf for my good friend B- is done. And now that I’ve given it to him, I feel safe about putting pictures of it on the internet. This was the first scarf I’ve ever knit sideways (by casting on 470 stitches and knitting 40 rows, instead of casting on 40 stitches and knitting several hundred rows). I’m still not sure how I feel about the process – each way of scarf knitting has its upsides and downsides, I guess.
Either way, the scarf went from this:
(That’s linen stitch, not colourwork, so it’s actually dead easy.)
He likes it (and wears it!), so that’s more than good enough for me.
This shawl, like a lot of things I’ve knit this year, has been an instructive exercise in the power of blocking. You may recall how scrunched and curled this looked when it came off the needles? I blocked it, and now it looks like this.
Pattern: a very truncated version of Daybreak, which was super fun to knit – the stripes and slipped stitches are just enough to keep the stockinette interesting, and the extra increases make this a perfect shawl to wear as a scarf, with the way it curves. Yarn: Koigu KPPPM, 2 skeins – one in grey, one in turquoise. Needles: I used my 4mm Addi Lace circular, because I didn’t own the size called for in the pattern. It was close enough.
I modified the pattern a bit, mostly to allow for the fact that I really didn’t want to buy extra skeins of yarn, even though the yardage that I had was much less than what was called for to knit the smallest size. I worked fewer stripe repeats (nine stripes of each) and striped the garter rows at the end. I ended up having a bit of the turquoise left over, but I used up the charcoal almost entirely, and I’m a big fan of the way the finished product turned out. The other change I made was to switch the M1R and M1Ls at the very end of each row with yarnovers, to make sure that the edge was nice and stretchy.
Because I worked the whole thing on a slightly larger needle and blocked it pretty fiercely, the finished shawl actually a perfect size – just big enough to wear as a scarf, over a t-shirt with jeans, and just in time. Fall is actually starting to settle in (finally), and I can’t wait to wear everything I’ve knit this summer with my new fall wardrobe.
It’s done! It’s done, it’s done, it’s done! (And a good thing, too, because now I can pay even more attention to my NaKniSweMo sweater.) This is, as I predicted, an awfully short scarf – it wraps around my neck exactly one time, enough that I can single-knot it together. (Or hold the ends together with a brooch, if I were the kind of person who owned and wore brooches, but I am not.) The pattern is Cable and Lace Scarf Redux by The Kniterella, which is gorgeous (and I apologize for the snotty Ravelry-only linking, I am too lazy to find a link to the unlocked pattern) and went by very quickly.
I don’t care how short it is, though. It is warm, and unbelievably soft, and I may actually never take it off.